- Neither the heavens nor the sky nor the sun are divine. [ref. Gen 1:16]. Nor can they foretell the future nor control destinies. [ref. Isa 47:13 / Jer 10:2 / Dan 4:7]
- The sun is wonderful, keeping to the daily rising and setting, but we modern people know what David did not: that the sun is merely one of billions that God keeps in their courses. Isa 60: 19-20 speaks of the sun as a metaphor for God; many pagans thought it was a god. But we are aware of how puny the sun actually is in God’s infinity. We know the meaning of the word “universal.”
“The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever”
- Fear of the Lord is the sum of what the Law requires. God’s laws are the justice of the universe, written upon our hearts.
- “Those who honor God and order their lives in accordance with His will, because of their reverence for Him.” [p.1069] [ref. Gen 20:11]
- There is a distinction made between sins of omission [hidden sins] and of commission [willful sin].
Barker, Kenneth L., et al, eds. Zondervan NIV Study Bible. Grand Rapids MI: Zondervan, c2002.